Gardenia got its unusual name in honor of the American botanist-naturalist Alexander Garden. It is amazingly beautiful plant family Rubiaceae native to the subtropical forests of India, Japan, China.
Due to its beauty gardenia has won the love and admiration of amateur gardeners in the XVIII century
- 1 Some species of gardenia
- 2 Planting and Care
- 3 Lighting
- 4 High humidity is necessary in the period of development of buds. For this flower pots can be placed on a wet concrete block, but, while avoiding touching the bottom of the pot surface. The plant can also be sprayed during this period. During the blooming of the buds spraying stops. Humidity plant can be created by rubbing the leaves with a damp cloth. Gardenia necessary tropical humidity can be achieved by placing the pot in a wet concrete block and the other surface, or into the water. This is not to avoid soaking the pot - the plant will not survive waterlogging Temperature
- 5 top-dressing
- 6 pruning
- 7 plant propagation
- 8 Diseases and pests
- 9 Symptoms of the disease and eliminate the cause
- About gardenia varieties
- Some species of gardenia
- Planting and Care
- Air humidity
- plant propagation
- Diseases and pests
- Symptoms of the disease and eliminate the cause
- Growing gardenia at home: video, photo
In XVIII-XIX centuries gardenia already very common in the greenhouse growers USA, England and Scotland
Gardenia - favorite perfumers
Evergreen bush in native conditions could reach a height of more than two meters, and in the home or hothouse - 50-70 cm. Leaves gardenia paired, broadly, to the bottom sharpened length of 8 cm, color from light to darkgreen.
Very large double flowers fragrant plants have white, yellow-cream, orange, pink shades. Their corollas with 5-9 stamens can be a funnel shape or bell. With good care and proper gardenia buds entirely strewn strong shoots. Plant pleased with its incredible blooms from July until late autumn.
Gardenia - one of the favorite and most popular flowers in the wedding floristry. Get another prescription in the name of "lapel flower" because it is often decorated with a buttonhole coats and tuxedos English gentlemen, it is now also used for decoration of wedding tables and halls, and for bouquets
Some species of gardenia
According to various sources the genus Gardenia has 60 to 250 species are often evergreen. Here are just some of them:
- Gardenia Thunbergia. Very high, low-maintenance and hardy plant with large pure white flowers.
Thunbergii Gardenia is most suitable for garden summer maintenance
- Gardenia Taitensis. Petals of this type resemble propeller blades.
At Tahitian gardenia varieties are quite large flowers (pictured - near the flower more common gardenia jasminoidea (zhasminovidnoy)
- Gardenia Tubifera. Showy yellow flowers on a background of bright foliage.
Gardenia Tubifera has several varieties, but the flowers she always yellow, with dense petals in the shape of the propeller blades
- Gardenia Kailarsenia (Vietnamese). It has large flowers with six petals.
Vietnamese gardenia flowers have a very large size. Like many other varieties of gardenia, during the petals fall from her slightly twisted
- Gardenia Brighamii (Hawaiian). This type almost disappeared in nature. his white flowers consist of six petals, they have a very strong aroma.
Hawaiian gardenia is known for a strong spicy warm scent
- Gardenia radicans. The representative of the dwarf species. Some varieties of this species have variegated leaves.
Small bushes of gardenia Radicans very good look at the landscape compositions in the vicinity of the house, and in addition, provide a strong pleasant fragrance
- Gardenia citriodora. Rare variety with a delicate scent of flowers of five petals, similar to a lily.
Rarely found gardenia Tsitriodora has pinkish petals
- Gardenia Kula. Because of the large yellow flowers this type are sometimes called golden gardenia.
Gardenia Kula (golden gardenia) - one of the varieties of gardenia Tubifera
AT indoor horticulture the most popular type is the gardenia zhasminovidnaya, which has a second name "Kapskiy Zhasmin". The method of selection derived many varieties of this species, which differ in size, shape, color of flowers and leaves, as well as the duration of flowering. Home Gardenia, usually has a terry texture colors. Sam bush can reach a height of 45-50 cm.
Bush home zhasminovidnoy gardenia grows quite high, up to 45-50 cm
Planting and Care
Due to the high demands of a flower gardenia care at home requires a special responsibility. You need good lighting, constant heat and high humidity. At the new location the plant is adapted for a long time. Even with a slight turn of the pot on the windowsill flower can lose their buds.
Gardenia - capricious plant, so any manipulation of it must be justified and necessary
Gardenia likes acidic soil, it may simply be lost in the earth, containing a large amount of lime. Of the purchase mixture cultivation room gardenia excellent option would be to ground azaleas. For self-soil is necessary to take an equal amount of the following ingredients:
- ground sheet;
- Coniferous earth;
- Plot turf.
Gardenia care in the home for which is necessarily accompanied by the observance of certain rules, needs good drainage. To this end, the bottom of the pot fits any small stones: expanded clay or gravel. Qualitative drainage will protect the plant from the stagnant water in the soil.
Sapling for planting must contain at least two leaves. When planting can not disturb the uppermost leaves the sinuses. It is here that will emerge a new life - rostovaja kidney. When planting a cutting deeper into the prepared soil to 1.5 cm.
Zhasminovidnoy gardenia bud spiral shape
Greenhouse conditions are created using glass jar or polyethylene film. After 20 days at the top of the cutting of old sheet sinus appears pale lime leaf - a young shoot. When he unfold, the plant can be considered independent. Now it is necessary to go to the usual care gardenia at home.
Young plant zhasminovidnoy gardenia in a pot
Though gardenia and photophilous plant, but from hot sunlight it should protect. During the summer, for a good development of the plant is better to place on a window sill of eastern or western window. Winter flower normally develops on the southern windows, but additional lighting in this period is necessary. In this case, fit lamps for plants daylight, installed at a distance of not less than 60 cm above the plant.
This plant is very sensitive to any changes, especially the change of lighting. buds of gardenia while bookmarks and development may even fall off if a flower rearrange to another location. Therefore, do not even turn the pot in a given period.
Gardenia overall greenhouse conditions are very good, it is hard to tolerate any change in the external environment